Most viewed stories

Peru: 100,000 tons of potatoes endangered by drought and frost

Nearly 100,000 tons of potatoes in the province of Julcan risk being lost due to the drought and frosts in the highlands of La Libertad. The harvest begins in February and ends in June, but the crop is already drying up for lack of rain. Additionally, the frost at night is also damaging the crop. The authorities from Julcan, led by Mayor John Rodriguez Espejo, met with Governor Luis Valdez Farias and asked him to declare an agricultural emergency for this part of the region. They said that they had already lost 70% of the potato production and that they could lose the remaining 30% in a fortnight. This has affected an estimated 1,000 farmers. Rodriguez said they needed to build a dam. Meanwhile, Valdez Farias asked the Regional Council and the national government to start the relevant procedures to declare a state of agricultural emergency. (Source: larepublica.pe)

Editor & Publisher: Lukie Pieterse


Feel free to get in touch with Lukie!
He’ll be happy to share your company’s news stories on Potato News Today:
lukie@potatonewstoday.com
Connect on LinkedIn
Follow on Twitter
About us

LOCKWOOD Mfg

PULSEMASTER

FPS Food Process Solutions

AVR

TOMRA FOOD

DORMFRESH | 1,4GROUP

CROP.ZONE

VOLM COMPANIES

GRIMME