Potatoes SA recently announced its research priorities for 2023. The industry body says in a news post on its website that the main intention of its research initiatives is to support potato growers in South Africa in optimising their production efficiency.
The organization says it further intends to foster “a better understanding of the local potato market, as well as exploring future opportunities in creating consumer demand for potatoes in the country.”
Potatoes SA identified the following research focus areas for 2023:
- Packaging feasibility study
- Optimising potato shelf life
- Investigating export opportunities for South African potatoes
- Cultivar tailored solutions and recommendations
- Weather modelling
- Soil health
- South African fresh potato supply chain analysis
Potatoes SA would like to encourage interested parties to share their research ideas by 14 February 2023 for the coming Potatoes SA Research cycle. Please submit your proposals online here. For more information on the Calls for Proposals at Potatoes SA, click here.