Folks, the following note was sent to us here at Global Potato News, and we are happy to publish it for your information as such… Please see below?
We are pleased to invite you to this open session of the AHDB Potato Board where we will be discussing the potato levy and storage research.
This online meeting will include:
• Introduction from Sophie Churchill, Potato Board Chair
• An opportunity to meet the members of the AHDB Potato Board
• Presentation from Rob Clayton, Potato Strategy Director regarding the Board’s thinking around the levy collection methods
• Presentation regarding the Board’s thinking on future storage research
• A live Q&A* – questions can be submitted before or during the event
In response to what was said in Defra’s Request for Views about how the potato levy is collected, we are reviewing the basis of how your levy is calculated this summer and welcome businesses sharing their views with us. We will outline how the levy is collected, and why the system was created in its current form, before sharing some ideas we’ve already received on potential options for the future.
We announced in May that we have put some potato storage research projects out for external tenders. Our aim remains to deliver independent storage research.
While we are looking at how we might best do this, there are several things that will not change. We will continue to:
• Work with you through our board and committees to deliver what the industry needs
• Fund independent storage research and, where necessary, the facilities needed to deliver it
• Supply you with the results of, and key points from that independent research
We know that storage research has never been more important, and our existing projects that are underway at Sutton Bridge Crop Storage Research (SBCSR) will continue. But we also understand that by putting work out to tender, we have raised a number of questions. This session is designed for those who have questions, or points of view about our plans – please join us for an open discussion.