The National Potato Council’s (NPC) annual Grower Supporter campaign, launched last week, provides resources to promote and protect the potato industry’s interest in Washington, D.C.
The contributions of NPC’s 2022 Grower Supporters were critical. The industry body says in its latest newsletter, “Through the hard work of NPC and our state partners, we were able to open Mexico for fresh potato shipments – a step intended to finally resolve the longest running trade dispute in our industry’s history and in USDA’s as well.
“We also secured major victories in delivering potato research funding via the appropriations process and pushed back against unscientific limitations on potatoes in U.S. federal feeding programs.
“But our work is not done. With a Congress and Administration focused on issues that could impact the ability of potato growers to farm, NPC’s advocacy efforts are more important than ever.”
In 2023, NPC says it is focused on top potato industry priorities, such as:
- Ensuring potatoes retain their rightful place in federal nutrition programs
- Opposing tax increases on the potato industry
- Pushing back against overreaching regulations on the agriculture industry like WOTUS and the SEC Climate Rule
- Investing in potato science and research
- Supporting ag labor reform provisions that ensure a sustainable workforce
- Advocating for transportation reforms and infrastructure investments that make it easier to get potatoes to market, both domestically and internationally
- Finalizing a workable market access agreement with China for chipping potatoes
- Building on the success of the Japan FTA with new market access
- Promote U.S. potato industry’s rightful share of the 2023 Farm Bill
- Ensuring that foreign pests and diseases are not introduced into the U.S. and harm our growers’ ability to produce and market their crop
- Promoting additional free trade and market access agreements
NPC says in order to be successful in 2023, “we need the support of our growers. Click here to register your support for NPC and join the 2023 Grower Supporter campaign today to help amplify the potato industry’s voice in Washington, D.C.”
Source: National Potato Council (NPC)