The rising price of groceries is the leading obstacle for shoppers globally1. As consumers look for ways to contend with the prices, Side Delights® suggests the emerging trend of upcycling as an economical and sustainable solution. Upcycling is the process of transforming by-products, waste materials, or unwanted products into new materials and is used for everything from packaging to produce.
Specifically, the potato industry is estimated to generate waste and by-products equal to approximately 12-20% of total production volume2. Potato peels, pulp, and other potato parts can be upcycled into feed for livestock and utilized in potato farming. While upcycling can take place at the time of production, consumers concerned about the economic and environmental impact of food waste at home can take on the responsibility of upcycling, using nutrient-dense potatoes in various ways:
- Potato Peel Chips: Organic potato peels can be seasoned and baked at 375°F until crispy (10 to 15 minutes) or air-fried or deep-fried until golden. Use them as a crispy snack or a topping for salads or soups.
- Vegetable Stock: Potato peels can be frozen and used to make vegetable stock for healthy soups. Boil the peels for ten minutes to make a rich, earthy-flavored stock or soup base. Compost the remaining peels!
- Potato Powder: Potato peels can be cleaned, dried, and dehydrated in a low-temperature oven or a dehydrator and ground into potato powder to thicken soups and chili.
- Potato “Bread” Crumbs: Create a gluten-free substitute for breadcrumbs. Blend the potato peels in a blender and use them in a recipe in place of breadcrumbs.
Potato peels are even being used in creative ways such as crafting Potato Vodka3 and skin care4.
Another way for cost-conscious home cooks to eliminate potato waste is to use the whole potato for delicious recipes such as Cheesy Potato Skins – Side Delights or Parmesan Smashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Aioli – Side Delights.
“Since potato prices are up and overall inflation has increased food prices by double digits, upcycling potato peels makes sense,” noted Kathleen Triou, president and CEO of Fresh Solutions Network. “Using the whole potato while enjoying new ways to consume it, reinforces the potato’s value. Saving money while spending time around the table with friends and family is especially important at this time of year and during these economic conditions.”
Side Delights offers a full assortment of popular potato products, including Potato Kits, Convenience Potatoes, Petite Potatoes, Fresh-Cut Potatoes, and Organic Potatoes. For more information on Side Delights products and its network of farms, visit FreshSolutionsNet.com, SideDelights.com, and GrownWhereItMatters.com.
- Leading shopping obstacles for global consumers 2022 | Statista
- Potato Waste Upcycling Improves Revenue – Potato Business
- Vodka from potato waste with Potatoes SA (thewaite.org)
- Potato for Face: Unproven Benefits, Side Effects, and Precautions (healthline.com)
Source: Fresh Solutions Network
Image: Cheesy potato skins