Side Delights® in the US announced new ways to help create “plant-based menu plans” as the trend continues toward diets and ‘ways of eating’ that focus more on vegetables and less on meat.
The so-called Flexitarian diet, based on the benefits of a plant-heavy diet, gained popularity this year as one of the top five diets U.S. News and World Report 2018 Best Diets rankings report. The Flexitarian diet focuses on healthy plant proteins and other whole, minimally processed plant-based foods but allows meat and animal products in moderation. Shoppers leaning into ‘less meat’ seems to becoming more than just a passing trend.
According to a recent report:
- 59 percent of consumers eat meatless meals at least once a week
- 27 percent of consumers order a plant-based beverage at least once a week
- 50 percent of consumers order menu items featuring vegetables
According to Side Delights, potatoes are ideal for plant-based menus based on their nutritional value, their filling nature, and their flexibility in cooking.
These are the benefits the brand said potatoes have:
- Cholesterol Free and Sodium Free
- 110 calories (Mid-sized potato)
- Provides 30 percent of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C
- Provides 15 percent of the recommended daily value of potassium
- Has one of the highest overall antioxidant levels among vegetables
- And, is one of the most satiating items in the produce department
For 2019, Side Delights® has created some tips for developing menu plans that are plant-based with recipes that feature potatoes as a healthy and filling option.
Tips for “New Year – New You” Plant-based Menu Plans:
- Create a vegetable-based main course such as potato and Provencal vegetable tart
- Replace meat and bread-heavy breakfasts with potato-based brunch meals like baked breakfast potatoes.
- Trade in meat as an ingredient in favorite dishes with a filling plant-based alternative. Try replacing pepperoni on pizza for potatoes.
“Potatoes have the dual role of being a healthy vegetable while helping a person’s satiety – the ability to feel full despite lower calories,” said Kathleen Triou, President and CEO of Fresh Solutions Network. “So as more consumers continue to switch to plant-based ways of eating, we see potatoes becoming much more than America’s favorite side dish, which is another reason to stock more potatoes in 2019.”
For more information:
Fresh Solutions Network
Tel: +1 (209) 627-6800