The year 2020 has been unprecedented in many ways and has been extremely challenging for fresh produce suppliers, retailers, and shoppers, writes Raul Fernandez, President of Breakthrough Solutions, in an article published by Produce Business.
Fernandez says the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines brings us all hope for a return to normal in the coming year. We at Breakthrough Solutions believe there is, actually, a new and better normal ahead. With that focus, we want to share our predictions of seven key trends for 2021. Our insights are drawn from a Summer 2020 Breakthrough Solutions National Consumer Survey on online shopping behavior, desires, experiences and from a variety of other trend research sources.
Looking ahead, the following summarizes the top consumer trends for produce suppliers in the coming year. Each one can provide opportunities for those that take advantage of these trends. Raul Fernandez identifies seven essential trends:
- Online shopping – The fresh produce industry must act now to ensure the digital future doesn’t result in a return to a commoditized past and lower sales
- Produce packaging will play a new and bigger role
- Family dining is in the house
- Focus on Food as Medicine
- Food supply chain disruption pivots into the birth of new strategic partnerships
- The search for fresh and new
Source: Produce Business. Go here to read the full article